What is Dlayer?
I have two goals for Dlayer, the first is to simplify web development and design, the
second is to provide the user with full control over every element and attribute that can be used to
create a web page or website. These two goals are very much at odds with each other, but by
concentrating on the UX and limiting options, I can meet both goals.
- Simplify web development; Using Dlayer, you should be able to build a single web page or entire
- Provide full control; Using Dlayer you will have total control over every element and attribute
that can be used to create a web page, you also won't need to know what attributes exist.
Why did I Open Source Dlayer?
I started development in 2008, up until August 2015 Dlayer was a private project that I worked on in my
free time and between contracts. I made the decision to Open Source Dlayer for multiple reasons, I
have listed a few below:
- I want Dlayer to succeed, to do that it needs to be out there and used by people, an app that
never ships is no good to anyone, especially the developer
- I want to build up a community around Dlayer, now that it has a solid foundation I am planning on
letting the community have a say in where the app goes next. I have my plans for Dlayer, and they
will keep me busy, but I would love to hear from others.
Where is the Demo?
The demo is at https://demo.dlayer.com; Development on Dlayer
is constant, the app is always growing, keep an eye on the release page for updates. I am working
towards the MVP, at the moment the demo is a little limited in features.
v1.16 Horizontal rule and styling
(13th March 2017 -
- Enabled link support in Quill rich text fields. [v0.30.0 of PHP Quill renderer]
- Enabled superscript and subscript support in Quill rich text fields. [v0.40.0 of PHP Quill renderer]
- I have changed the name of the background colour property on the page styling sub tool; it is now called content background colour which is more accurate.
- I have added the ability to define the background colour for your website (Page background colour, in the future this will be configurable per template). [Feature]
- I have added a horizontal rule tool, under the content layout drop down. [Feature]
- I have added a styling sub tool for horizontal rule content items, allows the colour to be defined. [Feature]
- I have added a delete sub tool for horizontal rule content items. [Feature]
- I have made improvements to the styling code, less duplication of both data and code. [Refactoring]
- New tables to manage any styling attributes defined for the page, HTML and content items, additional refactoring required. [Database]
- Control bar improvements. [UX]
- General fixes and improvements.
Do you want to help?
I could do with some help, if you can code, design, write documentation, review code, bug
hunt or think you can assist in another way, please let me know via